Why a Bike Ride?

Summer of 2009:
More adventure. The plan: Ride from St. Louis, MO to Upper Saddle River, NJ, via Ann Arbor (to visit my brother), then across Ontario and thru Buffalo to Hobart College (Geneva, NY), then south to the Delaware River, which I'd follow into NJ and continue southeast to home. From Ann Arbor, it is the reverse of the route I took across America 2 years ago.
With a meeting to attend in St.L., it seemed a good idea to ride back.
St.L. departure date: 6/15. Estimated distance: about 1,150 miles, or one-third my Cross-America trip. Theoretically, the wind would be at my back. The hope: a 100-miles-a-day average and 12 days in the saddle. Total elapsed time: dependent upon weather and equipment outages.
My son says it will be dry every night and drenching during the day, the other side of the road will be smooth whereas I'll ride in under-construction rubble, the wind will be in my face, and all roads will be uphill. With my luck, could happen.
No official money-raising, but if you want to contribute, the trip ain't cheap.
I will make the blog entries at sporadic points, with fuller descriptions at trip's end.


Summer of 2007:
It was a personal challenge, short and simple. I needed to prove to myself that this 70-year old man wasn't over the hill yet.

So, while I was at it, I appealed to 4 different constituencies to pledge financial support for my ride. The consitituencies do not overlap in any way. I raised money for:

The Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County, of which I was the President (2006-8): (http://www.ethicalfocus.org/). ECS is a caring humanist community that believes in deed, not creed, as expressed in social action.

Upper Saddle River, my home town, in support of all the volunteer services: the Fire Department; the Ambulance Corps; the Rescue Squad.

The Interact Club, at the Bergen Academies (a county high school with competitive admissions, where I am a substitute teacher). The club helps the hungry and homeless, and also pays the fare for children from the 3rd world to come to the US for medical treatment.

And last but not least (they are all equal in my mind), I hoped to kindle the giving for my alma mater, Hobart College, so we could present them with a sizable class gift in June, 2008, at our 50th reunion.

So you now have both the real reason ... and the good reasons.

And while I was at it, I wanted to try to show up those who said I wouldn't make it on the (ambitious) schedule I set for myself. I didn't, making an average of only 81 miles per day, when riding. I was done in by the steeps, the weight I carried, some bike problems, headwinds and afternoon thunderstorms. Color me humbled.

And now that the ride is over, I slake my need to write by adding occasional longer-view essays based upon the experience.

To summarize the trip, I covered 3,467 miles, solo. My route ran from home, in Upper Saddle River, in northeastern NJ, to Buffalo, across Ontario, then through Michigan to Wisconsin, across Minnesota, Nebraska, and into Colorado at the northeastern corner. I went southwest from there to Denver, then south to Albuquerque, and due west to L.A., across the Mojave Desert.

I lost approximately 4 days to weather, 3 days to visits en route with my brother in Michigan and my oldest son in Denver, and about 3 days to various bike issues. That leaves 39 days for being in the saddle. Never had a leg issue. Ate like a pig and lost weight.

A great experience. Read on.

Bob

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Obese, Obeser & Obeserer

You may recall a movie title: Dumb and Dumber, and its sequel: Dumber & Dumberer.

After impossible-not-to-realize observances, I title this:
Obese, Obeser & Obeserer.

I had thought that the national obesity plague was more of an urban/suburban thing. We have fast food 24/7, spend long hours sitting … at work, on public transportation, in front of the tube (being too tired and getting home too late to do more), and eating take-out or order-in.

I also thought it was mostly a US thing.

Then I rode into the hinterlands and across Ontario … hence this essay. I could not believe my eyes. I am not coming from: “Well, I lost a lot of weight so how come these people haven’t/don’t?” Since I grew up “chunky” and managed to exceed the more pleasant euphemisms more than a few times, I look out from these eyes with the internal mindset of a fat person, even though I have not been all that heavy for many years.

As a kid, my parents would take me to the old Barney’s, where they sold suit pants and jackets separately so they could find a set that would fit me. There are family album photos of the 4-year old me, bundled up and standing outside our home in winter. My arms were as close to my sides as they could get and were at a 45 degree angle to my body.

I remember an Air Force sergeant telling me (at ROTC summer camp) that I was so fat that if they told me to shag ass, it would take me two trips.

At my biggest, and in my mid-twenties, I weighed 225 pounds. Though I yo-yo’ed, I got to maybe 212 when my son Gregg was born, in '71. I came down steadily and consistently after that through diet modification ... I found healthier substitutes for all the things I loved and wound up finding things I loved as much (but it wasn’t easy and took a lot of searching around).

My oldest son had a revelatory comment: "So many people buy SUV’s because they don’t fit into smaller vehicles."

I would have thought work was harder ... more physical ... in the hinterland. That there was more leisure to get into other activities (time not spent commuting).

So wherefore this grossness? Why is it rampant in the non-urban set? We can all guess. I haven’t spent much time trying to analyze this, but aside from the other most significant observations on the trip (laughter, friendliness and generosity), this was so painfully obvious that I had to register it with the telling.

North American people are dreadfully obese, obeser and obeserer!

No comments: