Why a Bike Ride?

Summer of 2009:
More adventure. The plan: Ride from St. Louis, MO to Upper Saddle River, NJ, via Ann Arbor (to visit my brother), then across Ontario and thru Buffalo to Hobart College (Geneva, NY), then south to the Delaware River, which I'd follow into NJ and continue southeast to home. From Ann Arbor, it is the reverse of the route I took across America 2 years ago.
With a meeting to attend in St.L., it seemed a good idea to ride back.
St.L. departure date: 6/15. Estimated distance: about 1,150 miles, or one-third my Cross-America trip. Theoretically, the wind would be at my back. The hope: a 100-miles-a-day average and 12 days in the saddle. Total elapsed time: dependent upon weather and equipment outages.
My son says it will be dry every night and drenching during the day, the other side of the road will be smooth whereas I'll ride in under-construction rubble, the wind will be in my face, and all roads will be uphill. With my luck, could happen.
No official money-raising, but if you want to contribute, the trip ain't cheap.
I will make the blog entries at sporadic points, with fuller descriptions at trip's end.


Summer of 2007:
It was a personal challenge, short and simple. I needed to prove to myself that this 70-year old man wasn't over the hill yet.

So, while I was at it, I appealed to 4 different constituencies to pledge financial support for my ride. The consitituencies do not overlap in any way. I raised money for:

The Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County, of which I was the President (2006-8): (http://www.ethicalfocus.org/). ECS is a caring humanist community that believes in deed, not creed, as expressed in social action.

Upper Saddle River, my home town, in support of all the volunteer services: the Fire Department; the Ambulance Corps; the Rescue Squad.

The Interact Club, at the Bergen Academies (a county high school with competitive admissions, where I am a substitute teacher). The club helps the hungry and homeless, and also pays the fare for children from the 3rd world to come to the US for medical treatment.

And last but not least (they are all equal in my mind), I hoped to kindle the giving for my alma mater, Hobart College, so we could present them with a sizable class gift in June, 2008, at our 50th reunion.

So you now have both the real reason ... and the good reasons.

And while I was at it, I wanted to try to show up those who said I wouldn't make it on the (ambitious) schedule I set for myself. I didn't, making an average of only 81 miles per day, when riding. I was done in by the steeps, the weight I carried, some bike problems, headwinds and afternoon thunderstorms. Color me humbled.

And now that the ride is over, I slake my need to write by adding occasional longer-view essays based upon the experience.

To summarize the trip, I covered 3,467 miles, solo. My route ran from home, in Upper Saddle River, in northeastern NJ, to Buffalo, across Ontario, then through Michigan to Wisconsin, across Minnesota, Nebraska, and into Colorado at the northeastern corner. I went southwest from there to Denver, then south to Albuquerque, and due west to L.A., across the Mojave Desert.

I lost approximately 4 days to weather, 3 days to visits en route with my brother in Michigan and my oldest son in Denver, and about 3 days to various bike issues. That leaves 39 days for being in the saddle. Never had a leg issue. Ate like a pig and lost weight.

A great experience. Read on.

Bob

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day Two (6/16, Tuesday)

Huge thunderstorm overnight and still raining in the am. I couldn’t get under way till 11:40, after that big and cheap breakfast: two eggs, hash browns, bacon, English muffin, OJ and coffee – only $7.45 Damned good bacon too, and a lot of it.

Climbing inclines is still a bit much for me; the legs aren’t quite there yet.

No wrong turns today!

I was on county roads all day. Poor shoulders, if any at all, and not always smooth pavement, but little traffic. I got a few horn beeps (salutes) but no one stopped me to talk. Sometimes they beeped me from behind. Scared the shit out of me.

Despite the late start, I made 71 miles today. As usual, I got my best mileage after 4pm … don’t know why. A sustainable energy boost comes on and I can crank out several hours of a good and high pace. Still walking up inclines. If I stood on the pedals I could ride them, but it does draw down more energy. I’d rather conserve. I forgot to mention that yesterday afternoon I caught a leg cramp and what felt like a groin pull. I rode through them, with discomfort, and damned if they didn’t pass. Nothing of that sort today, thankfully.

When the size of the dot on the map is small, you can’t tell if it is so small that there’s not a chance of a motel, or maybe it does have one or more. I had hoped this one town would work. Nada. Decided to have a chocolate ice cream and chat up the locals. A Best Western was 6 to 8 miles the wrong way (they always are). I could get there but it means losing time the next day too. So a local with a pick-up truck offered to take me there. Right on! Glen Edge made a decent pun about his name. Not well educated. Dead beer cans in the cab and pick-up bed. But good-hearted.

The Best Western was not all that inexpensive, but there was a coupon for a free second drink, and breakfast was included. When I went to the lounge area for a beer, after showering, there was a group of about 8 guys finishing theirs. They’d had a gang of pizzas and there were leftovers (a whole pie), which they offered to me. Free dinner, and my favorite food! I enjoyed the free beer too, and only $3 for the first one.

No comments: