Why a Bike Ride?

Summer of 2009:
More adventure. The plan: Ride from St. Louis, MO to Upper Saddle River, NJ, via Ann Arbor (to visit my brother), then across Ontario and thru Buffalo to Hobart College (Geneva, NY), then south to the Delaware River, which I'd follow into NJ and continue southeast to home. From Ann Arbor, it is the reverse of the route I took across America 2 years ago.
With a meeting to attend in St.L., it seemed a good idea to ride back.
St.L. departure date: 6/15. Estimated distance: about 1,150 miles, or one-third my Cross-America trip. Theoretically, the wind would be at my back. The hope: a 100-miles-a-day average and 12 days in the saddle. Total elapsed time: dependent upon weather and equipment outages.
My son says it will be dry every night and drenching during the day, the other side of the road will be smooth whereas I'll ride in under-construction rubble, the wind will be in my face, and all roads will be uphill. With my luck, could happen.
No official money-raising, but if you want to contribute, the trip ain't cheap.
I will make the blog entries at sporadic points, with fuller descriptions at trip's end.


Summer of 2007:
It was a personal challenge, short and simple. I needed to prove to myself that this 70-year old man wasn't over the hill yet.

So, while I was at it, I appealed to 4 different constituencies to pledge financial support for my ride. The consitituencies do not overlap in any way. I raised money for:

The Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County, of which I was the President (2006-8): (http://www.ethicalfocus.org/). ECS is a caring humanist community that believes in deed, not creed, as expressed in social action.

Upper Saddle River, my home town, in support of all the volunteer services: the Fire Department; the Ambulance Corps; the Rescue Squad.

The Interact Club, at the Bergen Academies (a county high school with competitive admissions, where I am a substitute teacher). The club helps the hungry and homeless, and also pays the fare for children from the 3rd world to come to the US for medical treatment.

And last but not least (they are all equal in my mind), I hoped to kindle the giving for my alma mater, Hobart College, so we could present them with a sizable class gift in June, 2008, at our 50th reunion.

So you now have both the real reason ... and the good reasons.

And while I was at it, I wanted to try to show up those who said I wouldn't make it on the (ambitious) schedule I set for myself. I didn't, making an average of only 81 miles per day, when riding. I was done in by the steeps, the weight I carried, some bike problems, headwinds and afternoon thunderstorms. Color me humbled.

And now that the ride is over, I slake my need to write by adding occasional longer-view essays based upon the experience.

To summarize the trip, I covered 3,467 miles, solo. My route ran from home, in Upper Saddle River, in northeastern NJ, to Buffalo, across Ontario, then through Michigan to Wisconsin, across Minnesota, Nebraska, and into Colorado at the northeastern corner. I went southwest from there to Denver, then south to Albuquerque, and due west to L.A., across the Mojave Desert.

I lost approximately 4 days to weather, 3 days to visits en route with my brother in Michigan and my oldest son in Denver, and about 3 days to various bike issues. That leaves 39 days for being in the saddle. Never had a leg issue. Ate like a pig and lost weight.

A great experience. Read on.

Bob

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ever hear of a watch-horse?

As written by Bob...

It was getting late. I had stopped beside a driveway and had a drink of water. I saw 2 horses trot quickly (and regally) down the 300 foot long driveway, on the other side of the fence, and eye me. I decided to go the handsome house (in the middle of nowhere, it seemed) and had to walk it because the driveway was mostly sand. Aimee Phillips and husband Ken told me it was not far to the next motel, but "why didn't I come in and have a beef sandwich?" which two of their four guests had brought from Chicago (the beef, that is).

At first I demurred, wanting to get to the motel before dark, but I WAS hungry and it seemed it would be dark anyway, and I needed more water, so I went in for the sandwich, and side dishes too.

They too had wondered why the horses took off from near the house, like watchdogs, so I called them watchhorses, but it seemed they were hungry and thought maybe I was bringing food (I really don't believe that, but it was not their regular behavior).

We had a nice conversation, and I got underway. They said it was only 10 miles to Colorado Springs and "all downhill." But first they explained why I had such difficulty having any kind of reasonable speed for so many miles since Denver ... I had climbed 2,000 feet over 40 miles. The rise is imperceptible to the eye, but my legs and speedometer sure knew. I was relieved. I had stopped several times to check the bike ... maybe the brakes were dragging, or - I didn't what "or." I have to tell you, it was discouraging, and tiring.

Well, there were some more slightly uphill sections, but it was late, it was dark, I was tired, and it was 7,000 above sea level, so I had more slow going. (I had my rainproof jacket and reflective vest on, and a good light on the bike, so traffic did not concern me, and there wasn't much of that anyhow. But when I did hit the downhills, wow! I could not see the road surface, though the lane markings were clear. And I could not see my speedometer, so I don't know how fast I went, but I would guess it was near 35 mph, and might have gone higher had I not judiciously applied the brakes.

Later I learned that I had only descended about 500 feet in elevation, so I must have climbed a bunch before the downhills.

I took the first place that came up because I did not know how far it would be to less expensive places, and I was cold and tired. It was 10:30 or so when I checked in.

Thanks, Ken and Aimee.

I got to Colorado City, maybe 30 miles south of Pueblo. Clearly I had gotten into adding elevation because I ran into a long slog of slow speeds, but I still wound up double-checking the bike/brakes, etc. Last night, the late sun did not get under the clouds on the horizon, so when it first darkened from shade under the clouds, it never brightened again.
Another downer was that several people had told me it was 20 miles to Colorado City, but the one who said it was 30 miles was correct.

I had a bad moment (now I was riding on I25, and 5 miles of it illegally: they like to throw bikes off when near a city because alternative side roads are available, except that the side roads disappeared 5 miles before the end of Pueblo). The bad moment came as I approached Colorado City's exit, and the info signs showed only gas and food services at the exit. Then came more info signs, but not till the last sign, just before the exit, did it show a motel there. What a relief!

Oddly, I25 is not consistently surfaced, and ride quality wasn't so great the last 15 miles. I have found as much as 3mph difference between supersmooth roads and others.

The motel had this computer available, but I was too tired last night.

Now, I am off! I expect to get to New Mexico today. Depending on wind and hills (it is sunny) and possible scattered thunderstorms, my initial target is a place called Raton. Time permitting, and motel availability in my favor, I'll go farther.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Travel well, Bob! Many of us were at school yesterday: administrators have seen fit to have an overall move of rooms. You should find it thoroughly entertaining to discover to whom the room belongs when you return as we will. 3 hours, twenty boxes, 10 years of one room. Pretty good.

Gregg -- I am sure I never re-tell my mother's stories (and there are many of them) to her liking either! :)